|Your rating: you are not logged in|
|Date Added||December 02, 2013, 14:46 GMT|
|Last Week / All Time Downloads||84 / 87,353|
|Filename / Size||
wine-1.7.7.tar.bz2 / 20.4MB
|OS Support||Linux, Unix|
Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X, OpenGL, and Unix
Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit for porting Windows source code to Unix as well as a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows programs to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Solaris.
Last but not least, Wine can provide benefits over Windows right now:
* Wine makes it possible to take advantage of all the Unix strong points (stability, flexibility, remote administration) while still using the Windows applications you depend on.
* Unix has always made it possible to write powerful scripts. Wine makes it possible to call Windows applications from scripts that can also leverage the Unix environment to its full extent.
* Wine makes it possible to access Windows applications remotely, even if they are a few thousand miles away.
* Wine makes it economical to use thin clients: simply install Wine on a Linux server, and voila, you can access these Windows applications from any X terminal.
* Wine can also be used to make existing Windows applications available on the Web by using VNC and its Java client.
* Wine is Open Source Software, so you can extend it to suit your needs or have one of many companies do it for you.
What's new in this release:
- Control panel improvements and new appwiz panel.
- Restructurings of state handling in Direct3D.
- Support for timer queue functions.
- Many MSXML improvements.
- Several fixes to Solaris support.
- Various bug fixes.
|Wine 1.7.7 Development||December 02, 2013 - Latest Version|
|Wine 1.7.6 Development||November 12, 2013|
|Wine 1.7.5 Development||October 29, 2013|
|Wine 1.7.4 Development||October 17, 2013|
|Wine 1.7.3||October 04, 2013|
|Wine 1.7.2||September 18, 2013|
|Wine 1.7.1||September 02, 2013|
|Wine 1.7.0||August 06, 2013|
|Wine 1.6-rc5||July 17, 2013|
|Wine 1.6-rc4||July 04, 2013|
|Wine 1.6-rc3||June 26, 2013|
|Wine 1.6-rc1||June 10, 2013|
|Wine 1.5.31 Development||May 27, 2013|
|Wine 1.5.30 Development||May 13, 2013|
|Wine 1.5.29 Development||May 02, 2013|
|Wine 1.5.28 Development||April 19, 2013|
|Wine 1.5.27 Development||April 04, 2013|
|Wine 1.5.26 Development||March 25, 2013|
|Wine 1.5.25 Development||March 05, 2013|
|Wine 1.5.24 Development||February 18, 2013|
|Wine 1.5.23 Development||February 08, 2013|
|Wine 1.5.22 Development||January 24, 2013|
|Wine 1.5.21 Development||January 11, 2013|
|Wine 1.5.19 Development||December 13, 2012|
|Wine 1.5.18 Development||November 28, 2012|
Wine User Reviews
Please log in to write a review